Presentation slides and articles
- (more to find in the CityGML Wiki; this section may be moved there in the future)
- Presentation of C. Dahmen of the company con terra on the creation of CityGML datasets using the CityGML writer of Safe Software's FME held at the International FME User Conference 2009 (pdf, 1.0 MB)
- Paper of C. Nagel, A. Stadler, T. H. Kolbe "Conceptual Requirements for the Automatic Reconstruction of Building Information Models from Uninterpreted 3D Models" presented at the Academic Track of the Geoweb 2009 Conference, 27.-31. July 2009 in Vancouver, Canada. The paper is published in the ISPRS Archives of Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Vol. XXXVIII-3-4/C3 and can be directly downloaded from here: pdf, 1.0 MB.
- Paper of A. Stadler, C. Nagel, G. König, T. H. Kolbe "Making interoperability persistent: A 3D geo database based on CityGML" presented at the 3rd International Workshop on 3D Geo-Information, 13.-14. November 2008 in Seoul, South Korea. The paper is published in Lee, Zlatanova (eds.): 3D Geo-Information Sciences, Springer, 2009. A draft version can be downloaded here: pdf, 206 KB. The presentation slides can be downloaded here: pdf, 1.5 MB. Please note, that the presented 3D geodatabase is free software; further information are given in the Software section.
- Paper of T. H. Kolbe "Representing and Exchanging 3D City Models with CityGML" presented as keynote talk at the 3rd International Workshop on 3D Geo-Information, 13.-14. November 2008 in Seoul, South Korea. The paper is published in Lee, Zlatanova (eds.): 3D Geo-Information Sciences, Springer, 2009. A draft version can be downloaded here: pdf, 296 KB.
- At the ISPRS Congress 2008 in Bejing, the EuroSDR Eduserv6 e-learning course on CityGML has won the Computer Assisted Teaching CONtest (CATCON 5) competition and was awarded a gold medal. The 2 weeks distant e-learning course was jointly prepared and held by University of Gävle, Sweden, and Berlin University of Technology, Germany. It will repeated in 2009. The course website allows free access for guests to three modules of the course.
A new CityGML Application Domain Extension for a web based 3D flood information system was developed within a Master Thesis at Stuttgart University of Applied Sciences. The website
provides further information and downloads (incl. the MSc thesis, the XML schema, and some sample data).
- At the OGC Interoperability Day on the 3rd of June 2008 in Potsdam a bunch of presentations was given on running applications and projects in Germany where CityGML plays a central role. The following presentations are available for download:
- The Special Interest Group 3D and the OGC CityGML Standards Working Group (T. Kolbe, IGG, Technical University Berlin and C. Roensdorf, Ordnance Survey, UK; pdf, 316 KB)
- Overview slide on the following presentations (pdf, 230 KB)
- Statewide 3D SDI with CityGML in North Rhine-Westphalia (A. Czerwinski, IGG, University of Bonn; pdf, 3.2 MB)
- Spatial Data Infrastructure Berlin: The 3D City Model (F. Liecke, Berlin Senate for Economy and E. Casper, Zerna Ingenieure GmbH; pdf, 2.2 MB)
- Düsseldorf - Traffic Simulation with Municipal CityGML Geodata (J. Pantzer, City of Düsseldorf and F. Bildstein, Rheinmetall Defence Electronics; pdf, 4.3 MB)
- CAAD-GIS Interface - Conversion of IFC Models into CityGML Models (K.-H. Häfele, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology; pdf, 823 KB)
- Stuttgart3D - CityGML at the Municipality (H.-U. Mohl, City of Stuttgart; pdf, 3.4 MB)
- Poster "Ruhr 3D - A project for a region in CityGML". (The Ruhr 3D Consortium; pdf, 2.6 MB)
- The Vector1 Magazine has published an interview with Thomas H. Kolbe on CityGML
- A new report of the working group on "City model updating and continuation" of the SIG 3D is available (in German, pdf, 2.2 MB) A tutorial on CityGML was held in Urumqi, China, beforehand the ISPRS Workshop on "Updating Geo-spatial Databases with Imagery". The presentation (about 100 slides) also provides a discussion of the relation of CityGML, KML, COLLADA, X3D, and IFC (Presentation slides: pdf, 2.9 MB).
- Paper of A. Stadler, T. H. Kolbe "Spatio-Semantic Coherence in the Integration of 3D City Models" (pdf, 2.4 MB) presented at the 5th International Symposium on Spatial Data Quality ISSDQ 2007, Delft, The Netherlands. The paper discusses the role of semantics for the integration of 3D city models from different sources.
- CityGML was extensively used and evaluated in the OGC Web Services Testbed No. 4 (OWS-4). Results of OWS-4 are documented in a 12 minute video and interactive demo. Experiences and findings of the CAD/GIS/BIM thread within OWS-4 have been documented in an OGC discussion paper (OGC Document No. 07-023r2, PDF 1.2 MB). An OGC press release about the results of the CAD/GIS/BIM thread was published on 2007-06-25.
- Presentation of the CityGML status and its relation to 3D computer graphics and Building Information Modelling (BIM) on the GITA / OGC Emerging Technologies Summit in Washington on 21-Mar-2007 (Presentation slides: pdf, 4.7 MB).
- Presentation of the current status and recent developments (including Application Domain Extensions) regarding CityGML at a meeting at the British Ordnance Survey in Southampton on 18-Jan-2007 (Presentation slides: pdf, 884 KB).
- Paper of A. Czerwinski, T. H. Kolbe, L. Plümer, E. Stöcker-Meier "Spatial data infrastructure techniques for flexible noise mapping strategies" (pdf, 369 KB) presented at the 20th International Conference on Informatics for Environmental Protection EnviroInfo 2006, Graz
- Paper of A. Czerwinski, T. H. Kolbe, L. Plümer, E. Stöcker-Meier "Interoperability and accuracy requirements for EU environmental noise mapping" (pdf, 369 KB) presented at the International Symposium InterCarto – InterGIS 12, 28.-30. August 2006 in Berlin.
- Paper of J. Döllner, T. H. Kolbe, F. Liecke, T. Sgouros, K. Teichmann "The Virtual 3D City Model of Berlin - Managing, Integrating and Communicating Complex Urban Information" (pdf, 1.2 MB) presented at the 25th International Symposium on Urban Data Management UDMS 2006 in Aal
- Article in Directions Magazine on CityGML jointly penned by SIG 3D and OGC (23-Jun-2006).
- Presentation of CityGML at the kickoff meeting of the OGC OWS-4 testbed in Reston, Virginia, on 14-Jun-2006 (Presentation slides: pdf, 2.8 MB).
- Presentation of CityGML at the OGC TC meeting in November 2005 in Bonn in the CAD/GIS interoperability working group (Presentation slides: pdf, 1.1 MB).
- Presentation of CityGML at the 106th EuroSDR meeting in Bern on 7-Apr-2005 (Presentation slides: pdf, 4.1 MB)
- Paper of T. H. Kolbe, G. Gröger, L. Plümer on CityGML (pdf, 1.1 MB) presented on the "International Symposium on Geoinformation for Disaster Management" in Delft, Netherlands, 21.-23. March 2005. (Presentation slides: pdf, 4 MB)
- Presentation of CityGML at the OGC meeting in January 2005 in New York City in the CAD/GIS interoperability working group (Presentation slides: pdf, 2.6 MB).
- Paper of T. H. Kolbe, L. Plümer "Bridging the Gap between GIS and CAAD" (pdf, 1.1 MB), GIM International, No. 7, 2004
- Paper of T. H. Kolbe, G. Gröger "Towards Unified 3D City Models" (pdf, 374 KB); presented at the ISPRS Comm. IV Workshop "Challenges in Geospatial Analysis, Integration and Visualization II", 8.-9. September 2003 in Stuttgart, Germany
- Paper of A. Altmaier, T. H. Kolbe "Applications and Solutions for Interoperable 3d Geo-Visualization" (pdf, 270 KB); presented at the Photogrammetric Week 2003, 1.-5. September in Stuttgart, Germany